Western Dales Bus Needs You.....
Who are we?
Western Dales Bus is a community charity based in Sedbergh and Dent. We organise a community minibus for the Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale area where public transport is limited, and run it on routes or at times not served by commercial bus firms.
With Cumbria County Council support, we have built up a team of skilled volunteers from across the area to drive and organise the bus. We run scheduled services on Saturdays, Sundays(summer only), Tuesdays and Fridays, see the timetables page for more details.
Please see our about us page.
How can you help?
- You could drive one of our minibuses. No PCV licence is needed, as a D1 category on your driving licence is sufficient.
- You could help behind the scenes in one or more of these ways:
- Distributing leaflets and posters
- Record keeping using Word and Excel
- Writing or designing publicity material
- Administration and office organisation
- Taking bookings
- Helping with accounts and grant claims
What support can you expect?
All our new drivers are given free Minibus Driver Awareness (MiDAS) training before they start, followed by induction training by one of our existing drivers. All drivers have a duty manager to call on for support every time they drive the bus.
Behind the scenes, volunteers usually work together to share tasks, and newcomers are supported by existing volunteers until they feel comfortable to work more independently.
What commitment do you have to make?
All our volunteers tell us how much time and effort they are prepared to offer, and we construct a system to accommodate them. For drivers, it is easier for them to remain familiar with the role if they can drive a half-day each month. For those thinking of a supporting role, we welcome any contribution you are able to offer.
How do you find out more?
Please contact us via the contact us page